Sunday, December 16, 2012

Education System

In the last three years, I've taught middle school, high school, preschool, and university. In the process of which, I've become convinced something is wrong with education. I too feel cheated out of an education. I realize my grammar is often appalling.

In fact, I don't ever recall being taught any grammar in a methodical way. In high school, I was never taught how to write a sentence, let alone an essay. And I've been the poorer for it. It is a miracle I can read. Reading is about the only thing I'm good at. And I reckon that has improved dramatically ever since I started paying attention paying attention to grammar.

On the other hand, some have been drilled to death; their creativity crushed. Why is there no happy medium? In fact, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a person that actually enjoyed their education. Or am I being pessimistic? Am I projecting?

There is no fixing the American education system. Even if it could be fixed, for many of us it's too late; self study is our doom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Overton Window vs. Ratchet

The New Right, whatever they want to call themselves, is obsessed with a few key ideas. One of the most prominent of those ideas is the Over...