Friday, March 1, 2013

Start of Classes

I had my first classes this Thursday. I'm surprised that it went so well. I've decided to go out on a limb and trust my students. In other words, I'm making working in small groups a bigger part of our class routine.

I hope the experience will provide me with some deeper lessons, but even if working in small groups doesn't improve end results it's still worthwhile. At the very least, it is something novel. Chinese students are used to lectures.

This term I'm also trying to encourage large group discussions. How it works is my students divided themselves into groups to blog about any topic they'd like. For part of each class we discuss their posts. This way the students will be constantly confronted by the reader.

I think one of the hardest parts of being a teacher is being a reader. Students, not all but quite a few, have no qualms about torture by prose.

I confess I am a sinner too.

To my readers, you long suffering few, please forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Overton Window vs. Ratchet

The New Right, whatever they want to call themselves, is obsessed with a few key ideas. One of the most prominent of those ideas is the Over...